Poker BasicsIf you’re still learning how to play poker online, it’s important to get the game basics down so that you can build your skills off of a strong foundation. Once you have a solid grasp of the basics, you can better understand the general rules for poker, and then begin to learn strategy. Here are three key points that’ll help you understand what online poker is all about.
After you receive your hand there are a series of betting rounds where you are given the choice to do one of the following:
- Check - If you don’t want to bet any chips or money, this is the “free” option. This can only be used if someone hasn’t already placed a bet during the round.
- Bet - This is where you offer up chips or money. Once you’ve made your bet, other players need to match it or they are eliminated.
- Call - You are “calling the bet” if you’re matching another players bet which was made previously in the round
- Raise - Another player made a bet during the round, but you can raise the bet by putting more money or chips down.
- Fold - If a bet’s been made but you don’t want to match the bet or raise it, you “fold” - eliminating yourself from hand.