After you receive your hand there are a series of betting rounds where you are given the choice to do one of the following:
- Check - If you don’t want to bet any chips or money, this is the “free” option. This can only be used if someone hasn’t already placed a bet during the round.
- Bet - This is where you offer up chips or money. Once you’ve made your bet, other players need to match it or they are eliminated.
- Call - You are “calling the bet” if you’re matching another players bet which was made previously in the round
- Raise - Another player made a bet during the round, but you can raise the bet by putting more money or chips down.
- Fold - If a bet’s been made but you don’t want to match the bet or raise it, you “fold” - eliminating yourself from hand.